Company History

For over a hundred years, the Tindell name has been associated with wood in one form or another. In 1892, the hills of East Tennessee provided the beginning of the family tradition when Fate Tindell began producing lumber from his steam-powered sawmill. The father of 16 children began his sawmill by buying and cutting timber in Knox, Union and Anderson counties, moving his sawmill from one timber tract to another.

By the time of the Depression, Mr. Tindell had acquired a large amount of land including tracts in the Halls area of Knoxville. With the establishment of good roads, he set up a permanent sawmill on a tract in Halls. The Depression took its toll and he lost most of his other properties to satisfy notes that he had co-signed, but he managed to keep the sawmill operation.

In 1938, Francis Tindell joined his father in the saw milling business and continued the business upon the forced retirement of Fate due to the amputation of both legs caused by diabetes. A planing mill was added in 1948 and Francis began selling lumber to builders in the Knoxville area.

During the 1950’s, Paul Tindell joined his father in the business and the transition from a sawmill operation to a building material business began to evolve. Tindell’s Building Supply was established. Appropriately, the first building material center was located across the road from the sawmill.

In 1960, the second sales and supply center was opened in nearby Maynardville. This officially transferred the tradition of growth from saw milling to building materials. Upon Francis’ death in 1964, his other son, Carl, joined his brother at Tindell’s. A cousin, Richard Tindell, joined the company during the 60’s.

In 1972, Tindell’s expanded once again with the opening of an Oak Ridge location and a roof truss operation in Halls. As Tindell’s began to grow during the 70’s, Carl Tindell purchased his brother’s share of the business and became the sole owner and President of Tindell’s. In 1979, Tindell’s expanded once again opening another building material center in LaFollette.

During the 80’s, Tindell’s merged the Maynardville center with the Halls facility and started installing garage doors for its customers. Later, installation of fireplaces and vinyl siding was added. In 1989, the original sales and service center was moved into a newly constructed building across the road. The first Tindell lumber yard center still stands and is where the Corporate Office resides today.

In 1993 a new facility was acquired in the Karns area of Knoxville to house our expanding truss manufacturing plant. A Millwork Division was added in 1995. In 1997 Installed Sales added the services of insulation and punch-out. Our fourth retail facility was opened in Sevierville in 1997 and the International Division exported building materials to Korea. Our President, Carl Tindell, served as Chairman of the National Lumber and Building Material Dealers Association during 1997.

A decline in the new home construction market as well as an unusually rainy first six months of 1998 caused Tindell’s to reduce its projected sales and streamline its operations to meet this reduction. However, starting in July of 1998, sales steadily increased with October being the highest month. The company’s market plan developed during the last half of 1998 and proposed to position Tindell’s for growth during 1999 via a customer relationship management approach.

Record sales of over $31,000,000 during 1999 indicated that Tindell’s re-engineering over the prior couple of years had indeed positioned the company as a strong leader among its competitors as well as in the building material industry.

Tindell's Log Mill 1938

Conveniently Located To Serve You

Knoxville
7751 Norris Freeway
(865) 925-9217

Maryville
733 William Blount Drive
(865) 977-6800

Cleveland
205 20th Street, S.E.
(423) 476-5501

Sevierville
140 Industry Drive
(865) 429-3229

Morristown
106 S. Sugar Hollow Rd.
(423) 307-5765

Truss
2644 Byington Solway Rd.
(865) 691-6505

The highlight of 2000 was the Truss Plant receiving the SHARP Safety Award from TOSHA. This award was the first award given by TOSHA after completion of their first audit and was the first Truss Plant in Tennessee to be awarded such an honor. The Commissioner of Labor presented the award to Carl Tindell during a ceremony attended by local dignitaries and Truss employees. This was a 2-year certification. The Truss Plant received re-certification of this prestigious award in 2002 and continues to make safety a top priority.

In 2001 Johan van Tilburg joined Tindell’s as President of the Company. From 2001 through 2003, Tindell’s grew steadily and revenues surpassed the $45 million mark.

During 2002, the sheds at the Halls location, estimated to be at least 45 years old, were torn down and replaced with a drive-through type shed. Tindell’s aggressively pursued the paperless environment and during 2001 — 2003, many customers were converted to an all-electronic environment; Tindell’s Customer Connection continues to set new standards for our marketplace. During 2003, construction was completed for a new Millwork warehouse located at the upper end of the Halls location, the sheds in Oak Ridge were refurbished and a new single sided cantilever was erected in Sevierville.

In 2004 we continued our expansion as sales topped $50 million. New production tables were installed at Truss, the saw shop in Sevierville was overhauled, a new office building for Installed Sales was built and we aggressively renewed our Fleet division. For 2005 our big event was the opening of the new Maryville store. Constructed from the ground up, this has become our showplace. Tindell’s sales continue to grow as the housing market remains very strong.

Expansion continued in April 2006 with the acquisition of Robinson Building Center in Cleveland, Tennessee.  This 35 year old family owned business was purchased from Jim and Martha Duggan; their son was appointed store manager.  Sevierville continued to be a growing market all thru 2005 and into 2006 and new sheds were added.  Truss purchased their second automated component saw and a new building was constructed to house the management and designers in May 2006.

 

Energy Star Partner

 

© Tindell's, Inc. All Rights Reserved